A little over an hours ago the IGN live stream for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 began and we learned a lot of cool things.
While the singleplayer campaign has been cut, it looks like there is plenty of stuff to look forward to with Black Ops 4.
”Biggest ever” and ”More than ever before” was recurring buzzwords from the conference and it sounds like they have a lot of confidence in what they created with Black Ops 4.
Without further adieu, let’s jump into it.
- The game is set to release on October 12.
- The game will be available through the Blizzard Battle.net launcher. Treyarch and Activision Blizzard have embarked on a partnership that will see Black Ops 4 come to the official Blizzard game Launcher, Battle.net. This will be the second game outside of the Blizzard universe to be added to the Battle.net launcher. This also means that Battle.net currency will likely be used inside of Black Ops 4, meaning you can essentially pay for the game with World of Warcraft gold.
- Black Ops 4 will not include a singleplayer Campaign
Table of Contents
Black Ops 4 Multiplayer
For Black Ops 4 to be the most replayable Call of Duty ever, they have to innovate on the Multiplayer mode, which has been the most popular game mode throughout the years.
While not too much was revealed about the multiplayer mode we got a look a the official gameplay trailer and answer to a few of the community’s burning questions.
Everything we learned of Call of Duty: Black Ops multiplayer
- There will be no thrust jumping or wall running in the new CoD: Black Ops 4
- ”Guns still up” You can perform many in-game actions while still using your weapon, such as throwing grenades and using your equipment.
- More improvements have been made to the gun system in Black Ops for than there were in Black Ops 1, 2, and 3 combined. This includes new weapons and changes to how those weapons feel and behave, such as new animations.
- Weapons will have unique attachment only usable for that specific weapon. In the hopes of making all guns stand out more.
- Black Ops 4 will bring something called ‘Operative Mods‘ to the game, which will allow more adjustment to weapons than ever before.
- The game will have predictable recoil patterns. To make recoil a skill you can learn to manage.
- They want to get away from the ”whoever shoots first, wins” type of gameplay.
- Healing is no longer automatic but will have its own dedicated button.
- Situational awareness. Black Ops 4 has made a ton of improvements to how the minimap and other awareness tools work. Most notably the ”Fog of War”. This basically means that the minimap will only reveal small areas around yourself and your allies, as well as showing where players shoot from etc. But you will not have a fully revealed mini map as usual.
- No singleplayer campaign but more narrative content in multiplayer than ever before.
Specialist Classes in Black Ops 4 Multiplayer
- A new medic class that will be able to heal from afar, resupplies ammunition and even buff allied players health and armor for a limited time.
- Ruin: Fast-paced specialist that moves quickly around the map and even has a Gatling gun.
- Another brand new specialist that is a master of tactical awareness and uses something called a ‘Sensor Dart’ which will reveal enemies in a large area.
- Seraph: Has a Tacdeploy, that allows Seraph and her teammates to spawn at that location.
- Torque: Master of disrupting the flow of combat. Can lay down razor wire, barricades and more.
- Firebreak: Uses a Reactor Core to specialize in areal denial.
Zombies – More Zombies than ever
For the first time ever, Call of Duty is launching with 3 initial maps and likely more to come through DLC down the road. (that was not specified)
However, as we are losing the singleplayer campaign, I think it’s fair that we are at least receiving 2 additional maps.
What we learned about Black Ops 4: Zombies Mode
- Will draw from historical as well as mythical figures.
- The maps will tell a brand new story, separate from the earlier games.
- Focusing on an ancient order, hell-bent on transforming with their nefarious plan. Not much else is known about this new antagonist.
- It will be a journey through time and mythos.
- We will be following a cast of 4 people: Charlotte, Bruno, Diego, and Shaw.
- Customize your own experience. In Black Ops 4 Treyarch seek to reach a new kind of evergreen Zombie experience with new customizable mutations. Which will allow you to modify the experience to your liking and adjust things like Zombie health, speed, numbers, and more. Over a 100 different mutations will be adjustable to create a unique experience.
- Offical high score assistance. After achieving something in Black Ops 4: Zombies you will be able to share a code that shows exactly what you completed and on what settings and difficulty you did it on.
- Callings. Limited timed challenges, including seasonal events and more.
- Mod Support. Change up the game how you like. Add A.I’s if you don’t have buddies to play with.
- Zombie Rush. Customized game mode aimed at new players.
- More difficulty options than ever.
Black Ops 4 Zombies Maps
We got a look at all 3 of the maps that will be included in the standard Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 game.
A map that will see you fight in the arena against Zombies with gladiatorial weapons.
Voyage of Despair
A more comfortable location than ‘Nine.’ This map takes place on nothing less than the luxurious Titanic.
Blood of the Dead
A return to the fan favorite, Black Ops 2: Zombies map, ”Mob of the Dead” that came in the Uprising DLC pack.
Call of Duty: Blackout – Battle Royale
Like they also stated at the reveal. We probably shouldn’t have to explain what Battle Royale is, and why it’s coming to a franchise like Call of Duty. It is the fastest growing game type ever in gaming and of course, Activision wants a piece of the action. Who can blame them right?
We knew this was coming but we now know a lot more about it. For one thing that it will be called ”Blackout”.
With the success of Battle Royale games such as Fortnite and Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 will be the first ever Call of Duty with a Battle Royale mode.
The Black Ops Way
They made a big deal out of pointing out that the Battle Royale mode, Blackout will be done in a way that is only possible inside a franchise like Call of Duty.
So what does that mean? Well, what do you do when you have decades of characters, weapons, vehicles, and gadgets to pull from? You put everything in one vast, glorious Battle Royale mode.
This means that all characters, weapons and by the sound of it also all gadgets from all campaigns and maps throughout the years will be in this new Blackout game mode. Likely this is where the microtransactions will come in.
1500 Times the Size of Nuketown
They stated that this would be the biggest map(by far) to ever be in a Call of Duty game, but the only lead we got to go by is that it is allegedly around 1500 times the size of the Iconic Black Ops map, Nuketown.
While Nuketown was rather small, 1500 times bigger does sound fantastic and like there will be room for plenty of variation and unique areas.