Update: Since this article was written, Kel’Thuzad has actually been released in Heroes of the Storm. However, we will keep our concept of him on this list for comparison.
10 Warcraft Heroes we NEED in Hots
One of the great things about heroes of the storm is that most heroes are well-known characters from one of Blizzard’s lore rich universes.
This adds a lot of excitement to each hero release.
It also allows the community to come up with hero concepts for heroes that are yet to be released.
In this post, we will take a look at our 10 most wanted heroes from the Warcraft universe.
This list is in no particular order but is just the 10 heroes we would be most excited about.
Next list will be about Starcraft and Diablo heroes we want. We won’t be doing one for Overwatch since the abilities are pre-set, which takes a lot of the fun out of hero concepts.
Note: We have left the primary abilities open to ideas/discussion unless they are essential to the heroes trait/heroic ability. We would love to hear your thoughts and concepts in the comment section!
10. Cairne Bloodhoof
Even though E.T.C is basically a Tauren, it feels like we still don’t have a real Tauren in Hots. So who better than Cairne Bloodhoof himself to represent the proud people of Mulgore. This is the guy who challenged Garrosh Hellscream to Mak’gora(a duel to the death) for his dishonorable actions as Warchief of the horde. A fight he would likely have won if it was not for Garrosh’ weapon being poisoned by Magatha Grimtotem.
Any hero strong enough to smack someone like Garrosh around deserves a place in the Nexus.
- Class: Warrior
- Trait: Chieftains revenge – When Cairne dies, his son Baine Bloodhoof arrives to claim revenge for his father. Baine has the same primary abilities as Cairne, but only do 50% damage. Baine lasts for 10 seconds or until killed.
- Heroic ability 1: Shockwave – Cast a wave of force in a straight line forward, slowing everyone hit by 90% for 3 seconds and deal heavy damage.
- Heroic ability 2: Mak’gora – Cairne challenges all nearby enemy heroes to a duel of honor, forcing them to attack him for 2 seconds. During Mak’gora, Cairne gains 50% resistance to all damage. This ability is on a very long cooldown.
- Alternate Hero choice: Baine Bloodhoof
- Skin Idea: Cow King Cairne
Few creatures have had the amount of impact on the Warcraft universe as the Dreadlord Mal’Ganis. As part of the Nathrezim, he and his brothers were charged by the Burning Legion with looking over the Lich King and the Scourge. He is most commonly known for the corruption of Stratholme, where Prince Arthas was forced to purge an entire city to keep the plague contained. Arthas vowed revenge on Mal’Ganis and followed him to the frozen waste of Northrend, where Arthas picked up the corrupted runeblade Frostmourne.
This was all a part of the Lich king’s grand plan. But Mal’Ganis played a crucial role in turning Arthas into a Death Knight. He is the most Iconic of the Deadlords, although not the strongest. Any Dreadlord would be a welcomed addition to Hots, but we think Mal’Ganis is the obvious choice.
- Class: Melee Assassin
- Trait: Vampiric Aura – Mal’Ganis’ vampiric nature grants him 25% life steal passively. Ally heroes in X radius of Mal’Ganis gain passive 15% life steal.
- Heroic ability 1: Cloud of Hypnosis – Create a cloud of hypnosis in a targeted area. All enemy heroes caught falls into a deep sleep for 5 seconds. Damage cancels this effect. The cloud persists for 10 seconds.
- Heroic ability 2: Inferno – Rein down a mighty inferno on your enemies, dealing X amount of damage on impact. This inferno has immolation aura, dealing X damage per second to all enemies near it. Inferno lasts for 15 seconds and can be controlled with the R key.
- Alternate Hero choice: Tichondrius, Balnazzar, Varimathras.
- Skin Idea: Archangel Mal’Ganis
8. Othmar Garithos, Grand Marshal of Lordaeron(Knight Unit)
Garithos is not known to most, but fans of the Warcraft 3 campaign may remember him. After the fall of Lordaeron, Garithos commanded the scattered troops as Grand Marshal of Lordaeron. What really makes Garithos interesting is his personality. He is an outrageous racist, and hate anyone who was not born a human. His racism eventually led to Kael’thas Sunstrider betraying the Alliance and founding the Blood elves.
Garithos would be a great addition to the nexus because of his racist voice interaction with almost every hero in the Nexus. But also because it would be an ideal way to bring in the iconic knight unit from Warcraft 3.
- Class: Warrior/bruiser
- Trait: Mounted combat – Garithos can fight while mounted, at the cost of attack damage. Can dismount to increase attack damage.
- Heroic ability 1: Heroic charge – Charge in a straight line, knocking all heroes hit to the side and stunning them for a short time, dealing X amount of damage. Garithos will instantly mount up when cast.
- Heroic ability 2: Seize them! – Garithos call upon his guards to seize this inhumane creature. 2 Footman lock onto a target dealing X amount of damage and slowing the enemy hero by 5% per attack(this effect stacks). Last for 20 seconds or until they are killed.
- Alternate Hero choice: General Marcus
- Skin Idea: Death Knight Garithos
7. Velen, the Prophet
Heroes of the Storm is yet to add a Draenei to the Nexus, and the huge demand for new supports makes Velen an obvious choice. Velen is the leader of the Draenei and is also known as the prophet. Velen has unparalleled control over the light and is one of the wisest beings on Azeroth. Those are just a few of the many reasons, why Velen needs to enter the Nexus. Soon!
- Class: Support
- Trait: Light of the Naaru – Put on ally hero to heal the target for X% of Velen’s damage.
- Heroic ability 1: Holy Well – Put down a well of holy light. Functioning as a healing well that your allies can use. Does not share a cooldown with conventional healing wells.
- Heroic ability 2: Holy Nova – Shoot out a nova of holy light, healing allies for X amount and dealing X amount of damage to enemies hit. This ability is on a short cooldown.
- Alternate Hero choice: Anduin Wrynn
- Skin Idea: Shadowform Velen
6. Mannoroth, the Destructor
Mannoroth is one of the more influential characters in the Warcraft universe. He was the one to corrupt the orcs with his demonic blood, which led to many significant lore moments. The orcs bloodlust was ended when Thrall and Grom Hellscream went to face Mannoroth, culminating in Grom finally killing Mannoroth and freeing the orcs from demonic control.
Mannoroth is known for his unending thirst for blood, which could be an exciting way to bring a hero with a ”feeding” mechanic to the Nexus.
- Class: Melee Assassin
- Trait: Thirst for Blood – Every time Mannoroth slay an enemy hero(assist or kill) he gain 2% attack speed and damage. When Mannoroth is killed he loses half of his stacks, and after a short delay, he burst into a violent explosion, dealing X amount of damage per stack in a large area.
- Heroic ability 1: Chaos bolt – Mannoroth sends a bolt of chaotic energy to the targeted area. Chaos bolt deal hefty damage and all heroes hit are knocked back and stunned for a short duration.
- Heroic ability 2: Blood infusion – Put Mannoroth and one ally hero into a violent frenzy, increasing their attack speed, movement speed and damage by X%. Effect last 10 seconds.
- Alternate Hero choice: Magtheridon
- Skin Idea: Mutalisk Mannoroth
5. Archimonde, the Defiler
Archimonde should need no introduction. Left hand to Sargeras, and one of the most powerful beings in the Warcraft universe. To put his power in context: he eradicated the entire city of Dalaran with one spell.
His brother, and co-lieutenant of the burning legion, Kil’jaeden would also be a solid choice. They both have very different approaches to war, which could eventually allow for them both to be added to Heroes of the Storm. While Kil’jaeden prefer manipulative warfare, Archimonde likes the direct approach.
He’s one of the most iconic Warcraft villains and deserves a spot in the Nexus.
- Class: Ranged Assassin
- Trait: The Defiler – When Archimonde kills an enemy minion or hero they are completely eradicated in a violent explosion, dealing X amount of damage in a small area. (This effect is only triggered if Archimonde get the killing blow).
- Heroic ability 1: Mark of Doom – Infect a hero with the mark of the Legion. This hero takes X amount of damage over 10 seconds. If the target dies while infected, 2 fel hounds will spawn with X amount of damage and health. 80 Second cooldown.
- Heroic ability 2: Finger of Death – Instantly finish of a target with 20% hp or less. This ability has an extremely short range, and cannot be used on heroes with more than 20% health. Heroes with 20% health or less will gain a mark above their head, letting them know they are receptive to the finger of death. 40 Second cooldown.
- Alternate Hero choice: Kil’jaeden, Jaraxxus
- Skin Idea: Archimonde, the Prophet
Onyxia is perhaps the most iconic boss ever from World of Warcraft. The boss fight represents the essence of RPG’s and is filled with memorable abilities to draw from. Need I say more than ”Onyxia wipe animation”?
While both Nefarian and Deathwing are iconic in their own right. We think Onyxia would be the best choice if a black dragon were to be added to the Nexus.
- Class: Ranged Assassin
- Trait: Lay eggs – Onyxia can leave eggs in bushes, after 30 seconds these eggs are ready to hatch. When an enemy walks into an egg, it spawns 3 whelplings with X damage and health. The egg persists for X minutes.
- Heroic ability 1: Deep Breath – Onyxia embraces her dragon form and flies in a straight line, breathing fire upon enemies, dealing a heavy amount of damage. Leaving a trail of fire, dealing X amount of damage every second to enemies standing in it.
- Heroic ability 2: Take Flight – Ascend to the air for 30 seconds, becoming invulnerable to melee attacks and all abilities. During this time she can breathe fireballs, that deals medium damage to a small area, on a short cooldown. While in the air, Onyxia takes increased damage from ranged auto attacks.
- Alternate Hero choice: Deathwing, Nefarian
- Skin Idea: Onyxia the Dreamer(Ysera inspired skin)
3. Kel’Thuzad, Lich Lord of Naxxramas
Kel’Thuzad is probably the most requested hero among the Hots community, and with good reason too. He has an intriguing backstory as a human mage of the council of six, who later went on to betray humanity and form the Cult of the Damned. He was the one to spread the plague in Lordaeron, that ultimately led to the kingdom’s fall. Mentor to Arthas as a death knight and lord of Naxxramas. His lore and titles go on forever, and he is a real fan favorite.
- Class: Multiclass Specialist/Assassin
- Trait: Phylactery – Kel’Thuzad can never truly be killed unless his phylactery is also destroyed. When Kel’Thuzad is killed he drops his phylactery on the ground that allies can channel(much like the warheads in Warhead Junction), to bring him back to life. Enemies can channel it to remove the phylactery.
- Heroic ability 1: Death and Decay – Deal X damage every second to enemy heroes in a large area around Kel’Thuzad. This is a channeling spell, going on for 3 seconds while channeling Kel’Thuzad is unstoppable. This heroic ability also passively Increase the damage Kel’Thuzad does to heroes by 25%.
- Heroic ability 2: Summon Necropolis – Add a Necropolis to a chosen lane, spawning extra undead minions to each minion wave on that lane. This passively increases all damage done to non-hero enemies by 100% and give him the dark pact ability. Dark pact sacrifices an ally minion and returns 20% mana to Kel’Thuzad, on a 60-second cooldown. Only 1 necropolis can be active at a time.
- Alternate Hero choice: Lady Deathwhisper, Rage Winterchill.
- Skin Idea: Naaru Kel’Thuzad
The concept of bringing a worker from either Warcraft 3 or Starcraft, has been a popular one on the Hots subreddit for some time. So we thought it right to come up with our own hero concept, where we choose the iconic Peon/Peasant from Warcraft 3.
This idea is interesting because it could bring in a whole new, wacky playstyle to Hots. Which is something we know the Heroes development team love and do well.
The possibilities are endless with this hero, for example, you could add additional buildings to the talent tree. This would be a great opportunity to add another truly unique hero to the Nexus.
- Class: Specialist
- Trait: Work Work! – When peon/peasant is killed, the nearest fort will produce a new one after 10 seconds. If no fort is up, the worker will spawn at the core. Peon/peasant can also repair ally building by right-clicking them, which also refills ammo.
Choose Race – On level 1 you choose between human or Orc. Each race with different benefits.
Human trait: Have the ability to upgrade ally towers into either cannon, guard or sentry towers. A maximum of 3 towers can be improved at a time. This trait can NOT be used with the TOWER RUSH! Heroic ability.
- Cannon tower is dealing AoE damage to enemy forces.
- Guard towers focus on heroes and do increased single target damage.
- Sentry towers have increased range and can detect invisibility.
Orc trait: All ally buildings gain reinforced spikes. Heroes take moderate damage when attacking buildings with reinforced spikes. Peon also has the ”enslave mercenaries” ability, which functions very much like ‘bribe’.
- Q: Build Barricade: Create a barricade anywhere on the battlefield, blocking all movement.(think of Sgt. Hammer’s barricade talent). 1 second cast time, with 3 charges on a 60-second cooldown each. Barricades have 1000 health and last until killed.
- W: Set Rally Point: Plant flag on a chosen lane, spawning improved minions on it. Peon rally point will spawn grunts with significantly increased damage, while peasant will spawn footmen with increased health. Rally point can only be used on 1 lane at a time.
- E: Sleep is good – Take a well-deserved nap for 5 seconds. While napping, all primary cooldown reset 100% faster. This ability is on a long cooldown.
- 1: Sprint – Increase movement speed by 60% for 5 seconds. On a 20 second cooldown.
- Heroic ability 1: TOWER RUSH! – Gain the ability to create towers anywhere on the map, 3 seconds cast time. With 3 charges on a minute cooldown each. Towers persist for 30 seconds and deal moderate damage with a high health pool.
- Heroic ability 2: Call to arms! – Call upon the militia. Spawning 10 armed workers, ready for battle. Each has X amount of health and damage. These militia persists for 30 seconds and is on a 60 seconds cooldown.
- Heroic ability 3: Something needs doing? – Add 1 more peon/peasant to your workforce. This worker has separate cooldowns but cannot use the hero trait. This heroic ability also makes the workers ‘dishonorable kills’, which mean they grant no XP when killed.
- Alternate Hero choice: SCV(Starcraft Workers)
- Skin Idea: Acolyte
1. Tirion Fordring, Supreme Commander of the Argent Crusade
The Ashbringer alone should be enough reason to bring Tirion into the Nexus. If that isn’t enough, however, there is also his extensive and deep background story as one of the first paladins of the silver hand.
Tirion was thrown out of the order of the silver hand when he refused to execute the orc Eitrigg. After many years of exile, where he resided in northern Lordaeron(Eastern Plaguelands). He went on to form the Argent Crusade, an order dedicated to bringing Arthas to justice.
This is the hero who dealt the final blow to the Lich King, and with his death in wow’s newest expansion, Legion. There is, even more, the reason to bring this righteous paladin to the Nexus.[/expand]
- Class: Melee Assassin
- Trait: Seal of Insight/Seal of Righteousness – Activate to switch between the 2 seals. While Seal of Insight is active, Tirion heals himself and all nearby allies for X amount of damage he deals. When Seal of Righteousness is active, Tirion’s attacks and abilities deal additional holy damage.
- Q: Ashbringer – Cleave all targets in front of Tirion with the mighty Ashbringer, dealing X amount of holy damage. Targets infected with Judgement are stunned for 0.5 seconds.
- W: Hammer of Wrath – Hurl a hammer at the target enemy, dealing moderate holy damage. The damage increases by % of the target’s missing health.
- E: Judgment – This ability changes, depending on which seal is currently active. When Seal of Insight is active, judgment lowers the target’s damage done by 25% and slow the target by 30% for 3 seconds. While Seal of Righteousness is active, judgment makes the target vulnerable to holy damage, increasing all holy damage taken by 25% for 2 seconds. Judgment deals moderate damage and is on a 12-second cooldown.
- Heroic ability 1: Avenging Wrath – Increases all ability damage done by 50% and reduces the cooldown of primary abilities by 50% for 8 seconds. 80-second cooldown.
- Heroic ability 2: Presence of the Highlord – Infuse all ally heroes basic attacks with X amount of holy damage for 12 seconds. 60-second cooldown
- Alternate Hero choice: Alexandros Mograine, Turalyon, Maraad.
- Skin Idea: Corrupted Ashbringer Tirion