World of Warcraft Classic has now been out for over a month and is still going strong.
I think many, including Blizzard, did not expect there to be queue’s on the login serves for Classic this far into its release.
Which brings up the question: Is there potential for more than just progressing onto The Burning Crusade expansion? A concept that has various flaws that we have laid out in this article.
Blizzard has stated on various occasions that they are not sure what they will do after the last patch of Classic and that they will be looking to the community for guidance. This means that brand new patches or expansions for World of Warcraft Classic are more likely than ever.
So today, I want to take a look at the locations, patches, and features that I would like to see in a potential WoW Classic plus.
5 Phases we would like to see in World of Warcraft Classic after Naxxramas
1. The Caverns of Time
Caverns of Time(CoT) were initially supposed to come out in the original Vanilla World of Warcraft, and it’s the perfect location for a WoW Classic patch. It doesn’t interfere with any lore and allows us to see iconic events in Azeroth’s history. It is also the type of content where you could easily bring in some of the CoT dungeons that were released in The Burning Crusade or later expansions and still have it fit well.
Classic Plus Phase 1 Concept
Our timeline is under attack by the Infinite Dragonflight as they seek to alter critical moments in history. Nozdormu and the Bronze Dragonflight ask us to aid them in keeping our timeline safe.
- New Zone: Caverns of Time
Venture to the Caverns of Time in Tanaris and aid the Bronze Dragonflight with safekeeping our timeline.
- New Raid: The Skull of Guldan
The Infinite Dragonflight seeks to prevent Illidan from obtaining the Skull of Guldan. We must stop them! Help Illidan get the Skull of Guldan and defeat Tichondrius.
- New Dungeon: The Siege of Dalaran:
Aid Arthas Menethil and Kel’Thuzad in lowering Dalaran’s defenses and slay Archmage Antonidas.
- New Dungeon: Sack of Theramore
Admiral Daelin Proudmoore’s death is crucial to our timeline. Aid the horde in the siege of Boralus and slay Daelin Proudmoore.
- Bonus Dungeons: Escape from Durnholde Keep, Opening of the Dark Portal, and The Culling of Stratholme
Aid Thrall in escaping from Durnholde Keep. Help the Guardian Medivh open the Dark Portal, and make sure Arthas succeeds in purging Stratholme.
- New Reputation: Bronze Dragonflight
Gain favor with the Bronze Dragonflight as you aid them in their efforts and gain access to artifacts and trinkets lost to time.
2. Lands of Conflict
Azshara is one of the most beautiful zones of World of Warcraft Classic, but also one of the most barren in terms of content. Blizzard initially intended to release a Battleground themed around this area, and there are even hints of an underwater raid.
Classic Plus Phase 2 Concept
Conflict is brewing in Azshara as both factions try to claim control of the region’s tactical location. All the while, the nagas in the area are growing ever more hostile.
- New Horde quest hub added to Azshara
The Night Elves seek to reclaim Azshara. We cannot allow them to get a foothold this close to Orgrimmar.
- New Alliance quest hub added to Azshara
It is time for the Night Elves to reclaim the lands of Azshara.
- New Raid: Serpentrage Caverns
To fully claim control of Azshara, we need to cut the head off the snake. Enter the Naga’s lair located deep under the sea east of Azshara.
- New Battleground: Azshara Crater
A vast 40 vs. 40 battleground themed around Azshara.
- New Feature: Rated Battlegrounds
Create a team and compete against other premade groups on the ranked ladder.
- Updated Ranked PvP rewards
Obtain unique and powerful rewards as you climb the ranked ladder.
3. The Dark Tower
Karazhan is another piece of beloved content that was supposed to come out during the original Vanilla World of Warcraft. There is so much untapped potential for great content with the Tower of Medivh, and its location makes it a perfect fit for a World of Warcraft Classic patch.
Classic Plus Phase 3 Concept
Karazhan, the abandoned tower of the Guardian Medivh, has started pulsating with dark energies. The Kirin Tor sends us to investigate.
- New Zone/Quest Hub: Dalaran
Dalaran has finally been rebuilt and is now accessible in the Hillsbrad Foothills.
- New Raid: Karazhan Tower
Venture into the ancient tower of the guardian and uncover its secrets and defeat the dark forces that inhabit it.
- New Dungeon: Karazhan Crypts
Enter the Karazhan Crypts to discover hints about the new residents of the Tower.
- New Reputation: The Council of Tirisfal(Raid Reputation)
- New Reputation: The Kirin Tor(Quest Hub reputation)
- New Attunement quest
Retrace the steps of the Guardian Medivh to obtain his amulet and gain access to Karazhan Tower(Raid).
- New Mage Class Quest
Study at Dalaran and receive your formal education as a mage.
- New Warlock Class Quest
Study the dark arts. Taught by wayward wizards in the dark corners of Dalaran.
4. The Scarlet Onslaught
Nothing says ”Classic” quite as The Scarlet Crusade, and their heavy presence during Vanilla makes them the ideal faction to build a patch around.
Classic Plus Phase 4 Concept
During our raid on Karazhan, we uncovered unsettling proof that the Nathrezim and the Burning Legion have successfully taken full control of the Scarlet Crusade. Now known as the Scarlet Onslaught, they cause Havoc throughout the northern kingdoms.
- New Zone/Quest Hub: New Lordaeron
Under the strong leadership of their new leader, the Scarlet Onslaught has constructed a brand new capital city, New Lordaeron, north of the Plaguelands. Infiltrate and climb the ranks of the new Scarlet Order to gain access to the Citadel.
- New Raid: Scarlet Citadel
The crown jewel of New Lordaeron, the Scarlet Citadel, is the seat of power from which the Dreadlords rule their new kingdom.
- New Dungeon: Scarlet Barracks
Enter the Scarlet Barracks to weaken the Scarlet Onslaught significantly.
- New Battleground: Battle for Hillsbrad
A human versus undead themed battleground set in Hillsbrad Foothills.
- New Paladin Class Quest: Path of Retribution
Study the path of retribution during your time at New Lordaeron to unlock a new ability: Crusader Strike.
- New Feature: Guild Banks
- New Feature: Guild Castles
- Top guilds on the server can now obtain a piece of land through success in either PvE, PvP, or Economy.
- Only one guild can control each castle at a time.
- The guild can buy cosmetic upgrades for their castle with gold.
- The guild can buy powerful defensive upgrades for their castle with gold.
- Guild castles can be raized by the opposite faction for a large sum of honor. Once raized, it will be aflame and inaccessible for a week. During a siege, all guild members will get the ability to teleport back to the guild castle and receive a powerful buff while the siege is ongoing.
- Guilds can grant access to specific people or whole guilds.
- Guild Castles are cosmetic and have no utility attached to them.
- Alliance Castles:
– Elwynn Forest: The first guild to overcome the challenges of the Scarlet Citadel will be rewarded with a piece of land in the Elwynn Forest by the Kingdom of Stormwind. (Resets with each new raid tier)
– Ashenvale: The guild with the most unique premade teams above 2200 rating will gain access to an Alliance stronghold in Ashenvale for that week. (Resets weekly)
– Ironforge: The wealthiest Alliance guild on the server that week will gain access to a guildhall inside Irongforge worthy of their station. (Resets weekly)
- Horde Castles:
– Tirisfal Glades: The first guild to overcome the challenges of the Scarlet Citadel will be rewarded with a piece of land in Tirisfal Glades by the Forsaken.
– The Barrens: The guild with the most unique premade teams above 2200 rating will gain access to a Horde stronghold in the Barrens for that week.
– Orgrimmar: The wealthiest Horde guild on the server that week will gain access to a guildhall inside Orgrimmar worthy of their station.
5. The Emerald Dream
The Dreamway portals located in Hinterlands, Duskwood, Feralas, and Ashenvale were always a huge mystery of Vanilla World of Warcraft, and there is a lot of potential for excellent content. One obvious choice could be to make a patch centered around the Emerald Dream, which was also supposed to come out during Vanilla.
Classic Plus Phase 5 Concept
While the Horde and the Alliance were busy dealing with the Scarlet Onslaught, Xavius and his demonic satyrs have taken control of the Bough Shadow Dreamway portal in Ashenvale. One part of the dream has already fallen to Xavius’ corrupting nightmare. The Green Dragonflight and the Cenarion Circle seeks aid cleansing the dream of this corruption.
- New Zone/Quest Hub: The Emerald Dream
Enter the Emerald Dream from either of the two portals still under our control(Hinterlands and Feralas) and lend your aid to the druids and the Green Dragonflight.
- New Zone/Quest Hub: Mount Hyjal
If we wish to squash the corruption from the dream, we need to seek out the druids of Mount Hyjal.
- New Raid: Heart of the Dream
Xavius and his demonic minions must be defeated before he claims full control of the Dream.
- New Dungeon: Bough Shadow
The Ashenvale Portal is heavily guarded but could work as a direct assault into the heart of Xavius’ base of operations.
- New Dungeon: Twilight Grove
Xavius has seized control of the Twilight Grove in Duskwood.
- New World Boss: Elothir, Corrupted Ancient of Lore(Felwood)
One of the most powerful Ancients has already succumbed to the nightmare’s corruption.
- New Druid Class Quest:
Keeper Remulos is looking for powerful druids to aid him with a special mission inside the Emerald Dream.
Much more potential
These are just five concepts for how the World of Warcraft Classic phases could look post-Naxxramas; there is potential for so much more. The world and lore of Azeroth are vast, and the possibilities are almost endless.
We didn’t even mention the Dragon Isles, Kezan, and Outland. All of which where content intended for the original Vanilla World of Warcraft. Even ignoring what was designed for Vanilla initially, there are enough areas and lore to cover years of phases.
What areas, locations, and characters would you like to see in a potential World of Warcraft Classic Plus scenario?
WoW Secrets – Hayven Games
Hayven Games is an amazing Youtube channel with several videos exploring the old parts of Azeroth that never saw the light of day.